Whey protein is one of the most favorite words for any fitness enthusiast or someone who is just into a healthy lifestyle, protein is one of the most important building blocks of the muscle, it helps to repairs your body cells and tissues, produce and optimize hormone in your body and there are many more functions protein has to offer in your body.
This is why eating a diet that is rich in vegan protein is not only essential for muscle building but is also important for good health as well.
Now as you know there are a lot of sources of protein available in our diet, from eggs to chicken to paneer to whatnot but in general, for a lot of vegetarians or other sections of society(vegan/non-vegetarian), completing their daily protein intake from natural food sources is little tough and complicated, as you have to clean, cook and then eat the food source which is fine for the most of the day
But for some instances, you need a convenient and easy source of protein to meet your daily protein intake.
This is why there was an innovation that can help on meeting out the daily protein intake of the individual conveniently and deliciously.
Now, what is protein powder?
Protein powder is nothing but a dietary supplement that is available in powder form and is easy to dissolve in water to form a delicious protein shake that serves your body with high-quality 23-27gm of complete protein.
It is just like you mix one scoop of that with some water and your delicious and protein-packed drink is ready to consume.
Types of Protein Powder?
Now when we talk about the types of protein powder, the list is a little bit here but to make it a little simplified for you, there are two major types of protein powder available,
1. Whey protein
Now as the name suggests, these are the protein that is derived, the most popular protein in this space is whey protein which is derived from cow's milk. The other types of animal-based protein are eggs protein, beef protein, bone broth protein, etc but as mentioned the most popular and consumed type of protein is whey protein.
Whey protein is almost synonym to the gym as one serving of whey protein would give you a good 23-27gm of protein per serving depending upon the type of whey protein that you consume,
As there are 3 types of whey protein, whey protein concentrate(has a few carbs, fats, lactose, and is a little cheaper)
Whey Protein isolate (has higher protein content, free from lactose and carbs, more bioavailable, and is little expensive)
Whey Protein Hydrosylate(has higher protein content, is free from lactose and carbs, has added digestive enzymes, and is the most expensive form of whey protein)
- Talking about any whey protein serves your body with all 9 essential amino acids crucial for good health and muscle development.
- Whey protein is a little more bioavailable to the human body than vegan protein but that is again very marginal.
- Is great in taste and mixability.
- Cost-effective source of protein supplement due to high supply in the market.
- Good source of calcium.
-Plant-based sources of protein are derived from plants and hence are also called the vegan protein powders that are also available in the powder form and are mostly derived from the plants like peas, rice, soy, hemp, and quinoa, where every plant has there own set of nutrition benefits and protein content, which is then integrated into the processing unit and final protein-rich powder is formulated
Now the most famous plant-based protein powders are a vegan blend(which are the blend of a lot of plants together), soy protein, hemp protein, rice protein, and pea protein
The benefits that plant-based protein powders offer are,
- They are completely free from lactose, hence if you are someone who is not good with dairy or find a problem digesting dairy-based products, plant-based protein powders are the best alternatives out there
- They also serve you a high amount of protein per serving, which revolves around 25-27gm of protein
- Most of the vegan blend proteins give you the full profile of essential amino acids for optimal muscle recovery and growth
- The taste of vegan protein powders is something not on the same path as whey protein but some vegan protein powders of some brands' tastes do well.
- Vegan protein is easiest for our body to digest due to no lactose content being present.
- They are rich in micronutrient profiles such as magnesium, zinc, and potassium from good plants.
What is the best pick for you?
To simplify and give you a one-word answer, both of the protein powder is great in their worlds, both of them serve with high quality and complete protein per serving that is delicious and a convenient source of protein that one can integrate into their diet to complete there daily protein intake.
If you are someone who digests dairy without any problem or you are not vegan, you can go for any type of whey protein without any second thought as it's a great form of protein supplement.
But if you are someone who is either a vegan or someone who doesn't digest dairy that well, that is the best choice you can make out.
Again to summarise the right form of protein depends from person to person, if you are nonvegan and you don't have any allergy to dairy you can go for any of the two forms of protein
But if you are vegan and cannot digest dairy that well, go for a good quality vegan protein like Big muscles nutrition is the smart choice that you can make.